CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Filters


Life is a box of filters; you never know what kind your gonna deal with today.
~My Dad


Only recently did I realize how much of my time is used cleaning, scrubbing, changing, and altering filters. You might think that you are safe, reading your book, then suddenly out jumps the AC filter. It then mugs you, ruins your clothes and sucks the life/energy out of you.
This has happened to me more times than I can count on grass blades. However every single time I am surprised and shocked. Or maybe I am settling in for an evening of restful pastime (reading/video games/movies etc.) and then, horror of horrors, the pump on the pool is going off, telling me that it needs to be either cleaned up or switched out (our pool is one of the huge inflated deals, above ground). Invariably the job takes longer than it ought, however there are sufficient times that it goes quickly to get your hopes up every time, thus crushing your hopes most of the time. My particular UN-favorite is the pond filter. This usually entails scrubbing pond scum off of a filthy green mess that once was a pump.
Recently my Dad and I made a super human crusade to rid the pond of all the green icky stuff on the walls and in the water. However my Dad thought it wise to remove the Koi fish first. He filled a big plastic bin with hose water and took the net and scooped the fish into the bucket. Then he and I proceeded scrubbing the pond and emptying it of all water. Well while this was going on nicely I noticed that the Koi were not looking so well. One or two and begun to start floating near the top on their sides. We sped up measures drastically upon realizing this. Within five minutes all of the fish were back in the nice clean pond. Within half an hour all six Koi were dead, floating at the top. We learned after ward that the chemicals in tap water are not quite right for some kinds of fish. That was a sad day in the house. It is referred to with sorrow as the "Fish-assacre". However there are rebels that refer to it as the "Fish-ocoust". W have now put a UV clarifier in and finished up the pond overall overhaul. After some tests were run (which would have been smart to do before the fish were put in a bucket or back in the pond), we are now confidant that the pond is ready to be inhabited again. For future reference always fill the plastic bucket with pond water.

There are of course Oil filters, and language filters, and brain filters, however at this instant nothing worthy of notice comes to mind. In summary: Be forewarned. If you undertake a job involving filters, you may get a WHOLE lot more than you nightmared of. NEVER attempt to remove fish from a pond
(unless you are fishing) without reading up on it first. ALWAYS leave a comment if you have read one of my posts.

Thanks for reading,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK I shall be sure never to offer to help with filters. Too bad about them fish, maybe the next batch will have better luck.

Robert L. said...

Too bad about the fish indeed. So sad. Just like the chickens WA.
Anyway, I cannot remember how the A/C filters are set up in our house (I know that one of them at least is up stairs) But if there is one down stairs then there is one bit of advice I have for you. This is very helpful when you have wood or tile floors in front of the return. (Return being the thing you take the filter out from.) If you put a rug in front of it, it will catch some of the dirt that would other wise get stuck on the filter. This will help save money on the replace meant filters, save money on from not having to clean the coils as often, and save you from that horrible thing you know as work. However thinking about it now, if I had done the duct work on the house there would not be any return air close to the floor at your house. Seeing as though both your York unites are in the attic.

Robert L.

John Calvin said...

I must say that I read everything you post, and don't always comment, just because I don't have anything particularly interesting to say. When it comes to taking fish out of ponds, the rules are the same as when changing an indoor fish tank, and having had my dad warn me of the consequences of moving fish from one type of water to another, I could see that your poor fish were doomed from the outset. As to filters, I have had experience with AC filters, pool filters, web filters, air filters for both automobiles, and mowers, and oil filters. I have also discovered why fuel filters are so important, thanks to an auto service job, where the mechanics forgot to put a new fuel filter in after taking the old one out, and the result was two broken fuel pumps, and breaking down in Houston on the way to Virginia, not fun! I will now proceed to your next post.

John Calvin