CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 22, 2008

It's simple, really.

Have you ever been in a situation in which you were on the receiving end of information, concerning how a certain thing or idea works? ( I know you have... So don't you dare think otherwise). How about on the giving end? I am sure that you are aware of the easy mistakes that can occur in the transferring of instructions or knowledge. Let us say that you have told somebody (whether a sibling, friend or anyone) to do something. And let us also pretend that you told them how to do it.

"Jerk on the cord till it starts, Fred".

You realize sometime (usually sooner than later) that something has gone horribly wrong. In this case "Fred" is holding the starting cord for your brand new boat engine. He is also looking at you, aghast that you would buy such a cheap model. You cant tell whether you ought to be upset at yourself for not being clear, or Fred for being so thick. You take it calmly at first.

"Oh no, Fred, since you dropped the paddles last trip this means we will have to find some way to get help. I never noticed that the lake shore looks so far away. Didn't I tell you that jerk implies stopping once you feel that t is not supposed to go further? No? I didn't? I guess I assumed that you weren't a Complete Idiot."

You then proceed to belabor your resident imbecile into pulp with snide, caustic, and pitiful remarks, over the next four hours that it takes you to paddle to shore, using a cooler lid.
There is of course, a point of view quite different. That of the confused Info-receiver. But that can wait for another time...

2 comments:

Robert L. said...

That was good. That was real good. That post make my day a little brighter.

John Calvin said...

I have been on both ends of trying to explain something, or having it explained to me. Take Algebra for example, it is simple, 2 to the 3rd power is 2x2x2, but what does the typical College Algebra student do? 2 to the 3rd, 2x3=6. Six! I cannot count the number of times I have had to re-explain this simple concept. Unfortunately there are many other examples of how such instruction goes wrong, I am sure my Physics teacher, Dr. Johnson, thought we were slow witted when we made him explain the same thing over and over again, but then again, it is Physics, not College Algebra. I think Robert found this post particularly amusing because he has had a hand in training in the last two guys the company he works for hired, and by all accounts, when comes to mental sharpness, a basketball is an apt description of them.

Anyhow, we had we had a ton of fun up there with y'all, hope to see you again soon.

John Calvin