CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 23, 2008

A true definition.....

Some people have different ideas, as to the meaning of certain words. I know that I have many "Special Definitions", but only a few come to mind. Actually shockingly few. I thought that I remembered more. But wait a minute! If I remembered the "Special Definition", than it wouldn't actually be my definition! It would be merely another definition! So now instead of purposing this post towards my definitions, instead it will focus on other's quirky meanings.

Probably the phrase that I know of that has the most varying definitions is the utterance "in a minute" or "just a minute". In fact sometimes people change its meaning more than once in the matter of five minutes. If you are the utterer than JAM (just a minute) means when I am done, whether it takes thirty seconds or a hour. If you are on the receiving end of a JAM, than it means literally one minute or less. Sometimes you would think that somebody who has for each minute for the last twenty minutes said JAM, would say something like "In a while". However I believe that JAM is more widely used because it gives the impression that you actually are practically on your way to them. You just hope that they will forget within a minute's time.

Another good one is "No". This one can mean many things to the receiver, but usually just one thing to the giver. When you say "No" you mean "No". And everybody out to know that "No" is final. Apparently everybody but the current receiver of the "No". they think that it can mean anything from probably not to perhaps.

One of my personal favorite replies is "Nothing!" This is usually yelled when someone asks "What are you doing?" Nothing to the speaker can mean several things, and perhaps even more than one, at the same time. Nothing can mean nothing that is important, or nothing that concerns you, and even nothing that I shouldn't be doing. On average I see girls use this one more than boys... just a side note.

And finally (for today anyway) we come to the infamous F-word, FUN. For like minded people this is a no-brainer, whats fun is fun. You see the trouble comes when there are conflicting definitions of "fun". You might think that hunting is fun, but Greg over there thinks its more like glorified work, he would rather be home watching TV, having fun. Or maybe you think that gardening is fun, well the person you ask to do it with you may think that its a bothersome encumbrance. Or maybe someone thinks that your fun is stupid (lots of people say this about video games).

I hope that you have enjoyed these definitions.....

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Hmmm, I would have to take you up on the side comment in the second from last paragraph. It seems to me that some brothers know how to use the word nothing just as much as their sisters. :)But very well written! You certainly are blessed with the funny bone Jay, a good sense of humor. Keep it up!

Robert L. said...

I like this post the best out of them all Big-Dog. Good work. The one about the oil was good...the first time. The second time it was alright. I guess I just was given the inside scoop before all the rest :).

And I would have to say that Lauren is right and wrong. Yes Brother use the word nothing just as much...but not as well as their sisters. When a sister says "Nothing" it could be she means "I am stealing my bothers computer games." or "I am just talking about sneaking down in the middle of the night and painting my brother's friend's fingers and toe nails." or "I am stuffing old peaces of muffins under the end of this cake that I cooked uneven." But a Brother, when he is asked what he is going to do or is doing or has done for the past three hours and he reply "Nothing." means "Playing the Computer."

John Calvin said...

I liked this post, it has an excellent sense of humor, and deals with one of the funny things of life. I must say that I agree with Robert, usually nothing means playing on the computer for us boys, while with the girls, you never know what evil schemes they are concocting, or enacting. Another word that deserves definition is "Five minutes!" I have heard this phrase used by adults telling their children that they will soon be leaving, I have also know the children to interpret such a phrase as meaning an indefinite period of during which leaving is imminent. Usually, there is time for one or two more games of Wolf Pack, or another round of tag. But every once in a while, five minutes, means five minutes, and though it is not always apparent, the adults always seem to intend five minutes to mean 300 seconds.

Water said...

Interesting post. I like the idea.

Words are so crazy... because they mean so many things to different people. How much time, I wonder, is lost because we have to explain what we really meant?


KJ